Clean Barrel and Point of Impact Accuracy

Clean Barrel and Point of Impact Accuracy

Postby Typical171 » April 3rd, 2012, 4:58 pm

How many out there clean before each shot and can maintain better accuracy then letting the barrel dirty. I shoot BH 209, I use Hoppes to swab out the barrel till clean then run 3 dry patches to dry out, but have found that my Mountaineer groups better if I DONT clean between shots. Has anyone else have this experience.
Typical171

Re: Clean Barrel and Point of Impact Accuracy

Postby sabotloader » April 3rd, 2012, 5:10 pm

Typical171 wrote:How many out there clean before each shot and can maintain better accuracy then letting the barrel dirty. I shoot BH 209, I use Hoppes to swab out the barrel till clean then run 3 dry patches to dry out, but have found that my Mountaineer groups better if I DONT clean between shots. Has anyone else have this experience.

I do not regularly shoot BH, but when I do - I have had excellent accuracy while not patching the barrel. Western also recommends continous shooting without patching.
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast
sabotloader

Postby a1smokepole » April 3rd, 2012, 5:40 pm

I may shot around 30 rounds at the range and do not clean save the cleaning when I go home the breech plug is more important to clean the carbon out of the flam chanel for mine it around 35 rounds when it starts close the chanel and the groups start to open up are start to get hang fire
a1smokepole

Postby Jimmer » April 22nd, 2012, 7:12 pm

I run a spit patch down the barrel between shots. Your saliva has a natural lube in it. Also my barrel gets pretty dirty and it is difficult to get a bullet down the barrel if I don't patch after firing several rounds. My accuracy has never been better. I use this method on my Bighorn and my Disc Elite.
Jimmer

Postby DrFred » June 9th, 2012, 7:56 am

after about 40 shots usually
DrFred

Postby hydrashocker » June 13th, 2012, 9:56 am

I found that if you are burning BH209 that you don't "need" to swab between shots. I've gotten plenty good groups without swabbing, in fact even stopped swabbing because it appeared to be loosing accuracy in both my guns.

I shoot 3 shot groups then let it sit in the shade until just lightly warm again, but I know a lot of people that shoot and shoot with it like 40 shots then finally swab and they say their accuracy stays consistent, even with warm barrels.

If I do swab, I only do a spit swab about twice and dry it out with 2 patches, that's it! In fact I've tried using swabbing until clean and used T7 as a very slight coat, then 2 patches to dried it, and it miss fired, and the only miss fire I have ever had!!!! I wont ever try that again nor any other cleaner or lube until after I'm done. All I use is BH209 and worked up magnum 120 grain loads in both my Knight and CVA. Knight handles it a lot better over my CVA.

When I bought my SS Knight KP1 I cleaned that barrel out REALLY GOOD and even cleaned it using alcohol and brake cleaners. Then I seasoned the barrel and that made the barrel very easy to clean and a great shooter. I didn't do that with my CVA with the Bergara barrel in blue and it is a hell of a lot harder to clean.
hydrashocker

Postby sabotloader » June 13th, 2012, 1:32 pm

Typical171 wrote:How many out there clean before each shot and can maintain better accuracy then letting the barrel dirty. I shoot BH 209, I use Hoppes to swab out the barrel till clean then run 3 dry patches to dry out, but have found that my Mountaineer groups better if I DONT clean between shots. Has anyone else have this experience.

Which powder are you shooting? That really makes a lot of difference

The only time I shoot a squeaky clean bore is the first shot after cleaning. At the range I do run a lightly moistened windex patch to keep the bore in the same condition from shot to shot, but i am using T7 powder.

If you are using BH they recommend no patching between shots...
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast
sabotloader

Postby coyotewallace » June 13th, 2012, 3:44 pm

sabotloader wrote:

Which powder are you shooting? That really makes a lot of difference

The only time I shoot a squeaky clean bore is the first shot after cleaning. At the range I do run a lightly moistened windex patch to keep the bore in the same condition from shot to shot, but i am using T7 powder.

If you are using BH they recommend no patching between shots...

BH=1 shot is the only clean barrel shot after that I clean only after a shooting session

T-7=1 shot is my clean barrel shot after that during load testing I spit patch between each shot. hunting,
coyotewallace

Postby KnightMl » June 16th, 2012, 11:48 am

I demand that MY MLS shoot both dirty and clean to point of impact point and or point of sight in. If they don't I work up a different load or ditch the ML for a different one.

With that said I have generally found that with most MLS if you season the bore with bore butter,,better accuracy is going to be achieved and less maintenance or need for swabbing. With BH209 I generally go to the range and do not clean it until the end of the session. When preparing a ML for the hunting season. I generally clean it throughout, treat it with bore butter and leave it be. If I am in wet conditions such as rain or snow I will swab the barrel down after the hunt and retreat it. Otherwise it stays that way all season with BH209. Bh209 with a properly seasoned barrel can go many weeks without a need to swab or clean. I pourposly left a ML sitting up for two months to see what effect BH209 has on a treated barrel. After two months I inspected the ML and so no signs of corrosion. Most ML seasons do not last that long so I see no need in cleaning after each hunt unless its wet.

Some people are ok with finicky barrels that only shoot one way or the other. Not me. I demand more out of my equipment. My feeling are that if I am up to the task so should my equipment.

Others mileage may vary.
KnightMl

Postby jrhambone23 » August 2nd, 2012, 2:16 pm

is it ok to use the t/c no. 13 bore cleaner and the t/c bore butter on these knight rifles ? i read in the owners manual it says not to use a bore seasoning on these rifles ..any comments on this ? :?:
jrhambone23

Next

Return to General Muzzleloader Talk